Saturday 8 September 2018

Craft Room/Studio Tour 2018

5 comments Share It:

Having a craft room or studio space is beyond my wildest dreams. I primarily make journals and do a lot of personal memory keeping, so having a space dedicated to only that is pretty special. My room is on the smaller side but is much more than I need to get creative.




Within the space I have I try to separate different areas for different functions. For example on one side of my room I have a sewing station, where my sewing machine is always out and easily accessible, and on the other side of the room I have my main desk, where I build journal covers, paint and use all sorts of mixed media, I also film most of my youtube videos here.

To be honest though, alot of the time i end up on the floor. Sometimes it’s just easier to navigate being in amongst the art than having it sit infront of you. I have a rug to keep my floor protected, as well as looking pretty and feeling a little more cozy.




On the back wall of my room I have a shelving unit, this one is from ikea and is called the kallax. It works well for a crafting space as the shelves can hold 12x12 patterned papers perfectly.
The top row has acrylic inserts that hold my 12x12 papers and cardstocks. Below that I have some 12x12 albums, and some vintage sheets. I have a metal cabinet from office works that holds paper bags, vellum, acetate and doiles. On this shelf I also keep some of my personal journals, a4 paper, boxes of letters and craft supplies for my kids, as well as a variety of books. Ontop of the shelving unit I have my paper trimmer, 6x6 papers, big shot machine and printer. In the drawers I keep my photo printer and accessories as well as blank discs and manuals.



I also have two different types of alex drawer units, a tall one with 9 drawers that holds my vintage ephemera and papers, and a shorter, wider one that holds a variety of miscellaneous supplies.
I also set my laptop on top of here so that I can access it really easily.



The opposite wall is a large glass sliding door, which leads out into the yard, this fills my room with lots of bright natural light.

Squeezed into my space are also two raskgog carts from ikea, one is currently holding scrapbooking supplies and project life cards. While the other is holding journaling supplies, mixed media supplies and containers of ongoing projects.

Going back to my desk area, i have a semco shelf sitting ontop where I like to have my pens, glue and paper punches out within arms reach, I also have some other supplies and meaningful things that I like to keep out in sight. All of these things are used and appreciated regularly especially because I am seeing them so often.

 I use a selection of pretty old china pieces for storage wherever possible. I love the floral designs so they are both decorative and functional. I use them to hold my pens, brushes, paper clips, and to collect little bits and pieces (like sewing pins) as I work.

My desk sits ontop of two more sets of alex drawers, these have 5 drawers.. one side holds my binding threads and tools, stamps and ink pads, as well as my embossing powders, folders and dies.
The opposite side has a drawer for catching all of my personal day to day momentos, so that I can put them into my journals at a later time. The other drawers hold wallets full of die cuts, personal journals, planners and magazines which I cut into for collaging.
Under my desk I have a wire basket that has a variety of vintage wallpapers. I also have a large box where I throw in all of my recycling.

 My sewing station has large storage compartment where I keep my fabric. It is organised by type into a number of containers. I like to keep my larger pieces together, scrap pieces together, hankies together, vintage linens together and christmas linens together. Almost all of my fabric is thrifted.
In the drawers i have more sewing supplies. So the top drawer has my machine accessories and tools, as well as my threads.
The next drawer has everything I use to package up my orders, including business cards, post office forms as well as little gifts I like to include.
The last drawer just holds my camera, power cords, hard drives and other computer equipment.
Beneath the sewing table I have a large container which is full of chipboard and card board that I like to recycle into my projects.



My tall alex drawers hold some of my most special supplies. Here i keep my vintage papers including ledger paper, music and book papers, vintage dressmaker patterns and embroidery patterns, vintage photographs and miscellaneous ephemera. playing cards, napkins, wrapping paper and a variety of new and old christmas supplies.
I also use a drawer for my paper scraps.

Ontop of this unit i have a small trinket shelf laid down on it’s back giving me a compartment tray, which holds my vintage envelopes, postcards, greeting cards and index cards.



My wider alex unit is a little bit more disjointed. These drawers hold everything from my washi tapes, to my beads and charms, art journalling supplies, post it notes, stickers, tags and other embellishments. These drawers are great for being able to see an entire collection of supplies in one place allowing you to easily find exactly what you need.

The basket beside the drawers just hides some of my power cords when they aren’t in use.
Behind my door I also keep my photo back drop, and homemade tripod when not in use.


My gallery wall is made up of mostly pretty vintage plates, thrifted pieces and book illustrations. And the buntings hung around the room are from etsy.

For me my room needs to be functional and organised but it also needs to be an inspiring and enchanting place to work. I like to surround myself in colours and patterns that make me feel happy. I love being able to unleash my inner child and decorate in a way that captivates and nurtures my creative imagination.




So that's my current studio space! if you would like to see a video tour, click here! You can also find links to some of the pieces in my room in my video's description box.

XO
Johanna

5 comments:

  1. Junk Journaling is my new passion and I've just started making my own. I've traveled all over Youtube looking at tutorials but I found I come back time and time again to your videos. This is a lovely, inspiring space in which to assemble your beautiful projects. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tour of your art room. It is so organized. That's something I really need to do so, hopefully this will inspire me to organize my materials!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had always wanted to have a go at making a handmade little journal book ,but not being very crafty I was amazed and so pleased with the little book I made after watching your video .it's a bit rough and not very straight but I love as it's something I have actually made . Things have been difficult the last few years as I've had to come to terms with my son suffering with mental illness ,it has been awful as the worst is I can't do anything to put things right or fix things ,which is the first thing any mum wants to do ,I truly don't know how people cope with losing a child or how amazing some mums are at coping with children suffering from a mental illness ,it has been 3 years now and he has been in and out of hospitals,tried different meds,he is finally stablised but so vulnerable it is a constant worry for his future .I just wanted to thank you for inspiring me to try something new ,actually being able to make it by following your simple instructions and for being able to loose myself and really enjoy having a go and having something quite cute to show for it .I have never posted a comment on the net before so I have probably rambled on loads I just wanted to thank u for inspiring me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had always wanted to have a go at making a handmade little journal book ,but not being very crafty I was amazed and so pleased with the little book I made after watching your video .it's a bit rough and not very straight but I love as it's something I have actually made . Things have been difficult the last few years as I've had to come to terms with my son suffering with mental illness ,it has been awful as the worst is I can't do anything to put things right or fix things ,which is the first thing any mum wants to do ,I truly don't know how people cope with losing a child or how amazing some mums are at coping with children suffering from a mental illness ,it has been 3 years now and he has been in and out of hospitals,tried different meds,he is finally stablised but so vulnerable it is a constant worry for his future .I just wanted to thank you for inspiring me to try something new ,actually being able to make it by following your simple instructions and for being able to loose myself and really enjoy having a go and having something quite cute to show for it .I have never posted a comment on the net before so I have probably rambled on loads I just wanted to thank u for inspiring me

    ReplyDelete